Day 4 of 75- MULLIGAN

How I envisioned the day:



Wake up at 5:30 am.  
Enjoy a cup of coffee with my hubby to start off his 50th birthday.
Hug my daughter and son as they head out for school.
Hit the treadmill for 10-15 minutes and watch some inspiring Ted Talk.
Take a shower.
Do my hair for my client lunch at noon.
Order flowers to deliver to my husband's school for his birthday.
Work from home and get caught up on some analysis I had to do.
Do some of the classwork for the U of Chicago program I'm taking.
Leave from home for the client meeting.
On the way back to the house, pick up a latte maker for my husband's birthday at Williams-Sonoma.  
Get a cake and grab a thoughtful birthday card.
Go home and surprise him with the coffee machine. 
Maybe squeeze in a quickie.
Go watch the last part of our daughter's flag football practice.
Meet his mom and her husband for dinner.
Eat cake and ice cream at home and celebrate his awesomeness.


What really happened:

The night before, trying to get to bed by 10 pm, my daughter comes out from her room frantic-

Daughter: Did Skip take his graphing calculator to college?

Me: Yes. (Technically Skip forgot his calculator and I took it during Parents Weekend)
Daughter:  I need it tomorrow for the PSAT.
Me: Oh wow- that's tomorrow.  I don't think you need a graphing calculator- I'm not even sure you can use.... (cut off)
Daughter: They said I needed one.
Me: I'm pretty sure...hey wait... didn't we get you one at the beginning of the school year? It had it's own case..
Daughter:  (quietly)  Yes.  I can't seem to find it.
Me: Did you check in your back pack, I'm trying to remember the case ... (cut off)
Daughter: (angry) NO I CAN'T FIND.  THEY MOVED IT WHEN THEY CLEANED!
Me: I don't think they did- they always put things right back where they were... I bet it's in your.. (cut off)
Daughter:  I LOOKED FOR IT.  (storms off)
5 minutes pass.... Daughter returns...
Daughter: This is all I have!  (hands me the box for the screen cover...)
Me: Okay  Um.... I'm not really sure what you need me to do here.. do you want my financial calculator... I swear I don't think you can use a graphing one... 
Daughter: I need a graphing calculator for tomorrow.
Me: It's 10:30 at night.  You leave at 6 am.  This is not going to happen... you realize there is nothing I can do.  Do you want me to help you look for the $200 calculator that I have to admit, I'm not very happy that it's the beginning of second quarter and you've lost it...
Daughter: (not pleased) I LOOKED FOR IT.  (leaves room)

Me- goes to bed at 11:30 or so...

Sets alarm for 5:30

Can't sleep because I had coffee at 2 pm.  Mental note.  My new age is Can't Drink Caffeine after Noon Old.
2 am - get up to pee.  My new age is now Gets Up at 2 am to Pee Old.  
5:30 am alarm goes off. I accidentally turn it off until snooze.
Deep sleep.
6:11- awakened by frantic husband- Daughter's bus did not show- can I drive her. Sure.  Happy Birthday!  I love you.... (he's already gone...)
6:11-6:18- Pee (again).  Brush teeth.  Stare at clothes half asleep.  Try to decide if I come back home after I take her or just go to the office?  Decide I might as well go to the office because it's faster than driving back home. Throw on something that doesn't look awful. Grab some earrings.  Manage to get socks & underwear on without causing myself bodily harm. Toss hair.  Look in mirror- growl.  It's not pretty.
6:18- Daughter & I head out.  Lotsa traffic.  Daughter is panicking about the test and not having the calculator.
6:40- Drop daughter off.  Smile.  Wish her well.
7:00 At the office- grab the much needed coffee... log on computer... 
7:10- Hubby texts thanking me.  Associate that has Covid texts- tests are negative but he's still not feeling well- I tell him to stay home.  Assistant texts- while associate is texting- her battery is dead so she is running late...


Now at this point, I'm kinda laughing... still in good spirits.

I start doing a few things. Some emails distract me.  Get a decent amount done.

Go to my meet my client.  The restaurant is packed and understaffed.  They have Reubens.  I haven't had a Reuben sandwich since well before the pandemic.  So rather than go with the healthy salmon salad, I go big.  My client laughs.  We have a great meeting, but instead of an hour or so, it's 2 hours.  Time well spent- we haven't seen each other.

I still have plenty of time to get a gift, cake, etc...

Except I'm tired.  Like yawning while I'm driving.  Then I start thinking... am I getting the cake because I like cake?  My husband has been trying to cut out sweets .... but it's his birthday... and he had said not to make a cake.... and the espresso latte coffee thing... maybe also for me?  So I rationalize that I should head home, grab a nap before dinner.

Napped.

Had a great birthday dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants and let's just say good choices were not made.

But at least there's no cake, right?  Oh and the email I didn't read on the PSAT-- graphing calculators were not allowed.  Daughter in good spirits.

So no work out.  Not great sleep.  Not great food. 

It's a mulligan kinda day.

And when I logged into Facebook a few friends had posted this meme



And that's where I am now.  Today life got me.

I still can squeeze in a treadmill walk... or meditate.. and I'll read... but I'm tired.

Tomorrow is another day.... keep on trucking!

Comments

Popular Posts