To the Victims, Survivors and their Families on 9-11

I am so sorry.

I am so sorry that the single most tragic day in American history has been commercialized, politicized and compromised.

I'm sorry that politicians and officials used your tragedy for their own political gains.  In all parties.

I'm sorry that scam artists preyed on people's good will and created phony charities.  I'm sorry that they preyed on the family members of victims.

I'm sorry that it's taken so long to place a real memorial at the three sites.

I'm sorry that we used your tragedy to divide us as a nation, rather than bring us together as great nations should.

I'm sorry that the hatred that caused this tragedy is more intense today.

I'm sorry that as a nation, we have forgotten. 

We have forgotten the compassion and unity we felt. 

We have forgotten how simple the world seemed on September 10, 2001. 

We have forgotten so many of the heroic stories of every day people, saving lives of people, risking their own lives- because we are all too busy holding our hands out asking for our piece of the pie.

You and your families will never forget. 

On this anniversary, I promise that I won't let myself forget again. 

We are one country, united in values of family, equality and liberty, and I will not let the media lead me to believe we are anything less.




Comments

Popular Posts