What's been going on...

I haven't been writing much.  Sadly, this is not going to be a witticism. Just a ramble...

So where have I been?

In motion.

I am a Daisy Troop leader and this is Girl Scout Cookie time.  Which is a part-time job.  Fortunately, for me, my co-leader is an experienced leader and was Cookie Mom, so she by far, took the brunt of it.  What I didn't count on was the booth sales which have tied me up nearly every  weekend day for the past 3 weekends. She has 2 troops, so she's nuts.  Plus, we still have regular meetings to plan.

Oh, and it's tax time.  Which means lots of phone calls at work and printing things.  This is my assistant's first tax season so she's learning where things are.

And did I mention that I'm the chair for an alumni committee that helps meet with prospective students to encourage them to attend the university as well answer questions.  I coordinate meetings with volunteers and a luncheon.  I became the chair because I volunteered a few years ago and next thing you know, I'm in charge. 

And I accidentally ended up on a board for a political group.  Long, funny story.  I thought I was helping out and I ended up on the board.

And I'm participating in a program to encourage women to run for office.

And, on a fantastic note, my business is going very well.  I just need to figure out how to keep up.

And there's that marriage and motherhood thing, too.  Science fair is coming... reading week needed costumes...

My husband started coaching track, which means meets, after school practices, so we have to coordinate kid stuff.

And my poor little Bichon is fighting so hard to stay alive...

None of these things individually are that much time.  I love all of them.  But I had to quit tap.  I'm too tired by 8 pm Thursday and I miss it.  And I haven't made the gym in 2 weeks and I was doing well.  It makes me crabby.  And I gained most of the weight I had worked so hard to lose, back.

I am exhausted. 

I have a lot of support.  I have a great staff at work.  My husband is unbelievable.  My kids are even good.  When my daughter was BEGGING me to go to a school movie night after I spent 2 hours at a cookie booth (someone didn't show up so we had to stay), my son said "Zoey, give Mom a break.  She's been busy this week."  Love that kid.  Oh- and we went to movie night.  And I almost fell asleep.

I know everyone is busy.  But I don't do things like crap.  I know some people treat volunteer activities and events like after thoughts (I've seen that a lot lately).  I don't.  I don't do B work.  I am an A student.  I do A work.  I take my job seriously.  I take my volunteer activities seriously.  I take parenting seriously.  I take being a wife seriously.  Nothing gives.

I know how to say no, too. 

I'm also figuring out how to dodge things carefully.  I walked into a meeting of a group i'm in last week and they started with "Lori Bean... your name has been coming up a lot lately..."

Duck.  Run  Hide.  Or say-

"That's great to hear- do you know where the restroom is?"

Because that is code for "Lori Bean, we always see your name on the list, but you're not active... we hear you're great in other groups... how about you chair this committee....'

No.

Because I really do put my family first and it doesn't feel like it right now.  I know I have lost clients because I won't meet at 7 pm.  Or even 6 pm.  Dinner with my family is a BIG deal.  It's not something I like to use to impress people.  And here's the other thing-- I actually make the dinner.  And when I don't, then I get fat.  Which has been happening.

And my husband?  Well, I like hanging out with him.  I appreciate all the invites to this and to that, but I don't need a Girls Night Out.  I like a nice night out with my husband.  A basketball game.  Trivia at Buffalo Wild Wings.  I enjoy his company.

And my kids?  Tucking them in is a privilege, not a chore.  I like helping with their homework.  I like to hear about their day.

I have a good life.  It is a busy life.  I think everything is going to calm down in June.

But if you haven't heard from me or I'm a little slow scheduling lunch or a play date or returning a call, that's why.

I'm tired.  Very, very tired.


Comments

Popular Posts