Well, I Certainly Didn't Expect THAT to Happen...

Who knew that getting cut off AGAIN in the parking lot would inspire a blog that 70,000 people would read?

My biggest blog before this was over 3,000 on when the principal took the crayons out of my daughter's 1st grade classroom because coloring was not part of the Core Curriculum.  That got me a call from a Crayola executive.  She was on vacation in Italy and was horrified. 

But this... who knew?

I got an enormous amount of feedback from people- overwhelmingly positive.

I did want to address some of the issues, however, that were brought up.

First, I do not in any circumstance think that schools are overfunded.  I thought that was fairly clear when I pointed out that we have the lowest per pupil funding in the country.

I do think money is mismanaged, the budgeting process is archaic and the funding formula in need of a major do over.

I should clarify that this is my opinion.  Which I did in my initial post:

So I have some opinions that no one wants to address when discussing the biggest issue CCSD faces...
Disclosure: These are simply MY opinions. It's not based on anything other than my thoughts. It's what blogs are about. Of course, that part DIDN'T go viral.  But again, I didn't know...I would have included it in the actual blog...

Second, I'm not sorry if my assessment of SOME parents was mean.

I'm not.

I didn't say I was perfect.  I even said I'd met a LOT of fantastic parents. 

But hey, if you're the parent that's constantly pulling into the Do Not Enter entrance during drop off, I hope you were a little offended.  I mean it.  Please stop doing it.  It's dangerous.

The sign is there for a reason.  Follow the rules.

And I should be upfront, I DO say something to people.  To their faces. I have asked people who are talking during concerts to please be quiet so I can hear.

And I say it nicely.

And well, you can guess how that goes.

People think I'm far more flexible than I am based on what they tell me to do to myself.

If you're my friend and you start going on and on about how a teacher sucks and I don't think so, I can assure you already know that I will stop you and tell you why I back the teacher if I do.  Or if I think the issue is your kid.... I'm not exactly shy about it.  I'm polite, but I do speak up. 

I blow my horn at U-Turners.  They think I'm #1!

But I have to say, I was a little surprised how defensive some parents could be.

My favorite part was to stumble onto some online boards where they were trashing me about trashing people online (gotta love the irony).  I don't remember saying anything about specific people.... I do think a lot of people saw themselves in the blog and took offense.

I get it, as parents, we screw up.

But the whole flipping point of the blog was I like CCtSD and I'm tired of people trashing them.  Especially the people who have no idea what they are talking about. I think in spite of the ridiculous obstacles they are forced to overcome, my kids are having not just a good experience, but a GREAT experience.

My friend moved here from NY 2 years ago and asked me my honest opinion before she moved.  I said there are issues but if you're engaged and stay engaged, there are some exciting programs.  For elementary schools, it's hit or miss.  I wish that wasn't the case, but it's true.  I also told her the district was fairly flexible about moving schools.  They moved and her kids are in a fantastic elementary school.  When her mother, a retired principal visited and volunteered at the school, she was amazed at the GATE program and the school over all.  I know she came in with doubts-- she was honestly impressed.  My mom,  a retired teacher, spent time volunteering in my kids' kindergarten classroom (the one with the alleged 'lazy' teacher-- who is one of the most amazing teachers ever).  She told me that she only wished her school had had the staff.  The teacher was the type of teacher she had dreamed of being.

Both of those compliments are huge from people who know.

And like I said, we've had a not wonderful experience here and there.

But overall, we're good.

I've stepped up to participate in the business community partnership program for more than 20 years.

I participated in the community program to update the sex education curriculum.  If you remember that, it completely blew up for the district because a couple of people didn't understand the materials, distributed materials-- against the agreement we had signed-  and the rumors started that CCSD wanted to teach kindergartners about masturbating.

(Which OBVIOUSLY any non-moron knows they weren't.  If you're a pre-school/early education teacher, you know that sometimes little kids like to touch themselves in public.  Not all.  But some.  My mom had a little girl in her classthat let's just say had an issue with that.  So it happens. 

The bullet point was to start, early, about appropriate and inappropriate self-touch.  As in, it is not appropriate to adjust or touch your personal areas in public.

Crazy talk, right?)

So I'm not simply some silly mom going off on other parents.

I've been fighting the fight to make things better for a loooong time- well before I even had kids.

Really.  I have.

Which is why the sudden popularity of this blog surprised me.

I honestly did not realize I was the only person in the room who was willing to just say it.

But the best part, by far, was seeing the teachers, administrators  and support staff, take a deep sigh and and say "Thank you-- I thought it was just me."

I feel like my little blog gave them an opportunity to join together and know it's not all them- because society has suddenly started making educators the enemy and I just don't get it.

The educator I'm married to is sitting next to me writing lessons plans and a study guide.

He's not the enemy.

My kids are busy studying and working on school projects that are thoughtful and helping them learn.

Last night we had a band parent meeting and I was in a room full of parents excited to help (and I was the one who was late and texted friends to buy the fundraiser coupon book during the meeting). 

I saw the kids working together learning skills that will follow them off the band field for life.

Maybe CCSD doesn't rank at the top of any list, but to me and my family, it's been pretty fantastic.

THAT'S what I wanted to say.

Oh -and-

STOP DOING U-TURNS IN SCHOOL ZONES.










Comments

Popular Posts