My Son's Broken Peeper

This is an old one, but I was reminded last night that it was too funny not to share....

When my son was about 4 years old, I was working at the computer, my then baby daughter was napping.  Skip came up to me with a VERY serious expression...

"Mom, I need a hammer and some nails," he asked.

"What do you need a hammer and nails for?" I asked back.

"It's an emergency.   My peeper is broken," he replied.

"Your peeper is broken?"  I asked with some concern.  All things peeper related are generally redirected to my husband because well, he has one.  "What is wrong with your peeper?"

"It keeps sticking up.  I need a hammer and nails to keep it down, " he explained .

"It's sticking up?"I asked quietly.

"Yes.  And the more I try to push it down, the more it stands up and gets bigger.  That's why I need the hammer and the nails," he said earnestly.  I should point out that Skip is quite serious and very task oriented.  He saw a problem, had a solution, and asked for my help.

As I was trying not to laugh, and trust me, this was nearly impossible, I told him he should probably talk to his dad about it.  I really didn't think it was broken and he probably should leave the hammer and nails out of it.

I immediately explained the situation to my husband, trying to keep a straight face.  He asked what I said.  I told him I referred the kid to him. 

I'm not exactly sure what was discussed between father and son.  Honestly, I don't want to know. 

Two nights later, Skip was playing in the tub.

"MOOOM!" he yelled out.

I rushed in to see him floating happily on his back with his, um, "sail" at full mast.  He had the biggest smile on his face.

"Look, Mom!  My peeper is fine.  Daddy said it wasn't broken!  It feels good!"

I'm not exactly sure what I said, but I do know that that image is burned into my brain forever.  When he is graduating from college with his probable engineering degree, I will most certainly flash back to this exact moment.

I told my husband he could relax, his son's peeper was good to go and he was enjoying all that it offered.

My husband just laughed, smiled and was happy to help.  After my being the primary caregiver, I could feel him slowly encroaching on my territory.

And I have to say, I was more than happy to pass this one on!


Comments

Chile Bravo said…
hmm. atleast, Skip wasn't asking for a blow up doll and some lubricant. naivete rules...

Popular Posts