$6 on the Ground

Today I had some shopping to do.  Crap I sorta needed to get but didn't need enough to risk my life shopping on Black Friday.

I went to Target, my go to place for all things random.  I have to say I am quite happy that they expanded the grocery section at my local Target.  I actually had a weird list that included replacing some of my spices and nail polish remover (not because I wear nail polish, but because my husband had a super glue incident).

So walking into Target,  I saw a roll of dollars on the ground.  I picked it up and it was $6.  A $5 bill and a $1 bill rolled up.

Six dollars. My lucky day.

I picked it up and thought "hmmm... maybe I'll get a Starbucks with it" because my local Target also has a Starbucks.  I was tired and coffee sounded pretty darn tasty.

I then flashed back to my senior year in college.  I was broke (typical) and was walking to a study group and there was $20 on the ground.

That was a LOT of money to me in 1993. 

There also were 2 girls in front of me, about 30 yards ahead.

I saw that one of the girls backpacks was open.

So I said "Excuse me, did you drop this?"

She said yes and thanked me.  I think it was a lot of money to her, too.  She also commented that it was really nice that I did that because I could have just kept it and no one would have known.

Not true.  I would have known.

Anyhow, I was feeling really proud of myself.  Yeah me.

Then I got to my study group.

I apparently had left my wallet in the room after our meeting the night before.  Fortunately one of my partners grabbed it for me because they didn't want to leave it in the room.

Talk about karma.  That happened within less than 10 minutes apart.  Karma works fast in my life.

When I saw the $6, I thought I should at least pretend to look for someone who may have dropped it.  I was trying to fool Karma.

I figured "it's $6- I'm getting the coffee."

As I was standing in line, however, Karma started to bother me.  She is such a bitch sometime.

Then I thought about the conversation I had with 2 Target workers over the weekend.  We were getting some things for the house.  I asked if they were working on Thanksgiving.  One happily said no, the other sadly said yes.

I said "Well, didn't you volunteer?  They keep saying everyone working volunteered for the extra pay."  Which I knew was complete bullshit.

It was.

She said that her mom was in from Texas and at time and a half, she would only make about $100.  She said sharing the holiday with her mom was worth more than $100 but least she didn't have to go in until 6 pm.

So in my hand I had $6.  Which is the equivalent of a frappucino.

Or an hour of work, after tax, for a Target worker.

An hour of their life.

Or to me, loose change on the ground and a ridiculously overpriced, caloric caffeine bomb.

I went over to the Customer Service counter and said "Hey I found this outside."  She looked at me like I was crazy.

After all, it was only $6.

I think she set it aside.  Or maybe she kept it.

And I don't care.

I didn't need it.

I went back to the Starbucks counter and got a black coffee- which I prefer anyhow.  I paid with it with the loose change in my purse.  $2.

I went on my way and bought the stuff on my list.  The store looked looted after Black Friday and the workers were there, working incredibly hard, restocking the shelves.

And if you didn't know, the workers at Target make the same as Wal-Mart.  And the same as most retail stores.

Which is squat.

Because somewhere we decided their hard work wasn't worth it.  Even though, as a society, we certainly shop a lot.

But an hour of someone's life was worth the equivalent of loose change on the ground.  Or a cup of coffee.

No matter your politics, that just doesn't seem right to me.

I don't really know where I'm going with this- I apologize.  I guess had one of those "Wow" moments and wanted to share it.

I wondered if one of the workers had dropped the money one their way home.  And if they had, I really wanted them to be compensated for the hour of the life that had given up so that I could buy a new pan.

I hope my $6 found its way into the right hands. 

So Karma, if you're reading this, please make sure that it does.

Comments

Popular Posts