One of the Best Things of the Week

Sorry I've been lax all year in writing-- it's been crazy, busy, frustrating, happy-- and if I can't write something nice, why write anything at all, right?

Anyhow, something life changing happened this week that I had to share with my interwebz family.

I learned how to cook perfect bacon.

And by perfect, I mean PERFECT.

If you are a bacon person, bookmark this now (or you can search for the site where I got this amazing revelation).

If you are not a bacon person, I question your existence.

I am a fan of the website kitchn.com and America's Test Kitchen.  So when Kitchn.com posts something from America's Test Kitchen, I bite.

I am also a cooking snob- I've been cooking for a very, very long time.  It's very natural.  I make good bacon, so how much better could it be?

You have no idea.  Just do this.  Immediately.  I will wait while you go out and buy bacon.

Are you back now?

Okay.  Put the bacon in a pan.

Easy enough.

Now here's where you must trust me-- cover the bacon in water.

Yes.  Water.  The crap that if you add it to the pain will shoot out like little fireballs and burn you (that whole oil and water not mixing thing).

Just. Do. It.

Then, turn the heat to medium-medium low, place either a grease screen or a lid half on and let the water cook away.

This will render the fat.  Once the water is gone (about 15 minutes?), you will hear the delicious bacon start to sizzle.  Turn the heat up slightly, turn the bacon once.  And no worries about the grease fireballs- little to no splatter.  No joke.

Magically, it will turn into photoshopped perfection.

I kid you not.

It will be perfectly crisp, not burned.  It will be juicy, not greasy. 

My son, a lover of bacon, was blown away.  I mean, even bad bacon is good.  But this was PERFECT. 

The extra (which I hid for salad toppings), crumbled perfectly.

So there you have it.  On my new stove in my beautiful home, I learned to make the most perfect bacon.

It is a sign of all the good things to come- I'm sure of it.

Now some of you may question this method or think you have a better one-- like baking it.  I do that, too, and probably will continue to bake it for large parties (like brunches), but this... I'm telling you... try it.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts