Enjoy your retirement Andy Rooney



Last night I watched Andy Rooney's final broadcast on "60 Minutes" and he said he was grateful that for the last 40 years he was paid to give his opinion.  It was a good life. 

I completely understand.  I, like most people, do it for free and it's still a lot of fun.

I've always enjoyed Mr. Rooney's commentaries.  I like how he could complain and make me laugh all at the same time.  He's made me think over the years.  I like how he twists common logic and looks at it from a very tiny perspective to get your attention.

He was thoughtful, articulate and to the point.  He didn't belabor a point.  He didn't need a 30 minute "news" show that was nothing more than a lengthy opinion piece charading as real news (not Comedy Central).  He always clearly said that it was his opinion, take it or leave it, but you knew if you disagreed, he probably would think you were a moron.


Somewhere in my brain, Erma Bombeck, Art Buchwald and Andy Rooney's voices are constantly commentating on my life.  They have taught me to see the humor in every situation- motherhood, politics, and day to day living.  They have taught me how to be slightly caustic but rarely offensive and rude.  I learned how to voice my disdain in sweet, polite, humorous diatribes by reading their books, columns and watching them.  It has helped me immensely in my personal professional career; I tend to get my point across with a few laughs, but the knowledge that I am dead serious. 

I will miss Mr. Rooney's iconic voice, his wit and perspective.  I hope, as he promised, he will continue to write.  His perspective is still needed.  We all need to laugh at ourselves.  He was, without a doubt, one of the best.  My generation moves forward with Jon Stewart, Mo Rocca, Nancy Giles, Stephen Colbert- to name a few.  But Mr. Rooney remains the master. 

Comments

Popular Posts