These Beans, they are a'changin'

Today was a monumental day in Mama Bean's World.

As you may know, I am self-employed.  My husband is a teacher.When my husband and I found out I was pregnant we considered a number of options for childcare.  We figured between my work flexibility and the ability to do some tasks from home, his earlier hours and summers off, we should be able to manage with a part-time nanny.  My husband I think suggested a young Swedish exchange student program....

In stepped my mother-in-law.  She had been considering retiring but as soon as she found out we were having a baby, she filled in the paperwork and became Granny the Nanny.  As I've mentioned in previous blogs, it started out as 2 days a week, then three, then two, then four.  This doesn't count overnights,weekends, etc.  Throw in the fact that she's amazing with the kids and my kids have had an amazing childhood. 

Today was her last official day. 

Summer vacation starts tomorrow.

My daughter starts full day kindergarten next fall.

My son will be in third grade.

I will take them to school.  My husband will pick them up- except in the spring during track season.  We'll need Grandma for a few hours or even do the after-school Safe Key program for the hour overlap.

Grandma was very sad today.  My son Skip laughed and said "Is she not going to be our Grandma anymore?"  My daughter Zoe asked "What's wrong with her?"

But I get it.  It's change.  They are growing up.

Watching the kids defined her.  Now the options of what to do are unlimited.

For me, it's a big deal, too.  I will be back at the office 5 days a week.  No excuse to go to the park (I never felt guilty-- the market closes at 1 pacific time-- I can return calls and emails from a park as easily as my office!).  My work hours will increase substantially.  Since I never missed a beat, even had my business grow during that time period, I'm wondering if I will simply fill the hours with fluff or will they be productive?  When my time was limited at the office, I was the queen of efficiency.  I've even been asked to train others on my systems.  Will I be taking it up a notch?  Success is always scarier than failure.  It's truly unlimited.

And next Thursday, at 10:30 am, I am having breast reduction surgery.  This is a huge deal- no pun intended.  I will be able to exercise.  My back pain that has become a huge life issue to work around over the past few years, will dissipate.  I will have no excuse not to exercise and lose weight.  Again, no limits.  I won't be constrained by what my back will allow (well, not after the first 6 months).

My husband, for the first time in 9 years, has the summer off.  No classes.  No graduate school.  No continuing education classes.  Nothing.  He's maxed out the pay scale.  He's added as many licensures as he needs.  He's thinking "Wow- what am I going to do this summer?"  The kids play on their own these days.  We don't need to entertain them. 

It's all so open and unlimited.  It's a strange feeling- like graduating from college.

Yes, I know the kids still depend on us, are busier than ever, etc, etc.  But it is definitely the end of a phase.  We have school age kids, not babies.  No back pain.  Grandma busy with her new life.  The idea of no more classes to take-- it feels like a final episode of a TV drama.  This season is all wrapped up.

So what will Mama Bean's World look like in 6 months? 

The truth is, I have no idea.

Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts