More Mother's Day Advice to my Children

Dear Skip & Zoey,

Again, still not your real names, but over the past year you've come to enjoy having your alter egos in the blogosphere.

Like last year, I decided that each year, I would leave you with a letter of grand advice.  I gave you a list of things that I felt were important.  This year this list is short.  It's one thing.

Dance.

I don't mean figuratively as in "dance like no one is watching..." or to live life to the fullest.  Yes, of course you should do that, but I mean, very literally dance.

You both enjoy dancing now.  I do, too.  Since your dad met me, he's found his own special style as well.

Don't ever stop dancing.

When we went to the prom for Dad's high school last weekend, there were 3 types of kids.  There were the kids who were dancing.  They were laughing.  They were having fun.  They will remember what a great time they had.  There were the kids who were too cool to dance.  They sat and mocked everyone else.  They will remember prom as something silly and stupid.  And the third group- sat there, watched and really wanted to dance but were too scared.  They will remember prom as an awkward passage of time.

Which group do you want to be in?  My friends throughout my life have always been the ones that have chosen to dance.  We have great memories and continue to make more.

Dancing is fun- no matter if you're good at it or not.  It truly frees your spirit.  It is music come to life.  It's an expression of your soul.

It can turn a bad day into fun.

It can make you smile.

It turns a party into a celebration.

Be the first on the dance floor.  Set the pace.  Don't wait for other people to make life fun for you- do it yourself.

Don't sit and watch the party pass you by.  Jump in.  Participate.  Enjoy.

There are so many things in life that will bring you down.  This is why it is so important to embrace the good things.

So this year, I leave you with one simple piece of advice:

Dance.

Dance at every chance you're given.  Don't ever be too cool.  Don't ever be too shy. 

Just dance. 

See us smiling?


I love you.  Thank you for being such wonderful children.

Love,

Mom

Comments

Popular Posts