A New Year- A New Me?

One of the cool things about New Year's Day is that for many of us it's a reset button.  It's a day to say "I'm going to try a little harder, be a little better."

It's like the first day of school.  A fresh backpack.  New clothes.  New crayons.  By the end of the school year, you've got rips in the backpack, the clothes don't fit and the crayons were worn down or missing.  That's how most people feel after the holidays.

So the thought of new, fresh things is a bit rejuvenating to the soul.

My husband is a teacher.  He gets to do that every August- high hopes for the new school year after a nice break.

For the rest of us, life is a bit more like a 50 year treadmill run-- very few breaks and perpetually uphill.

January 1st gives us that mental refresh.

Except this year, I don't want to change anything.

Is that arrogant?

Except for the last 2 months of this year, I worked out fairly regularly.  I had lost weight (I only put 5 pounds back on, but holy crap, it looks like I gained it all back...)-- I did find something that worked for me-- Crossfit work outs (or my watered down variations) and the Whole 30 food plan.  I'm spending more time with my kids on school work at night.  We eat out less.  My business is doing well (13% growth)--  I lost a great assistant but I stumbled onto a team that is fantastic and I'm excited about the growth we had during the 4th quarter.  After a few years of being in limbo- staff changes, office moves, the Great Recession, etc-- it feels like I'm finally in the swing of things professionally.  I got back in touch with some fantastic friends over the year.  My husband and I regularly go out and have fun.




I'm happy.

I kinda want to keep things the same.  Well, not exactly the same, but moving in the same direction. 

We are always under pressure from the corporate office to do business planning.  I always try to explain that my "year" coincides more with the school year and not the calendar, but I find myself taking time to reboot regardless.

But this year, more than any other, I don't want to.  I just want to enjoy and keep on keeping on.

Maybe it's because I'm always sharpening the saw that Stephen Covey discusses?  Or maybe it's because I feel like more than anything I want to enjoy what I have.

New Years so often forces people to bring up their shortcomings- as if they are some terrible deficiencies that must be conquered and overcome.  

What if this year, rather than focusing on everything that's wrong, I focus on what's right and keep doing more of it?

I took a great marketing class when I first started in business 18 years ago.  One of the things I learned was when it came to marketing not to waste your time doing things that you don't enjoy or aren't good at-- focus on what works and do more of it.   And it was true. 

I have much more weight to lose.  I still can't run as well as I want.  I have some business goals I still need to meet.  I'd like to travel a little more.  I'm excited about some opportunities I have this year to become more civic minded.

But overall, I'm good.  Two years ago my resolution was to get my head out of my ass.  Seriously.  To just appreciate what I had and to "stop spinning." It worked.  I gave up the woulda, coulda, shouldas.  I quit comparing myself to others.  I focused on the good, not the bad.

So if I have to have a resolution this year, it will be to to enjoy more of the simple things.  To season the food a little differently.  To take more bubble baths.  To read the books my kids are reading.  To go to coffee with friends.  To drink more tea.  To laugh at my husband's jokes more.  Well... that might take some effort.

Bascially, it will be to do the things that don't take any effort but I love to do and sometimes forget. 

We spent New Year's Eve with some great friends at a completely last minute, impromptu gathering at our house.  It was a blast.  The kids played while we all chatted, played a game, laughed.  Perfect.  Nothing fancy.  Nothing special.  Just friends getting together enjoying each others' company. 

So this year I encourage everyone to enjoy the simple things.  You're not as screwed up as you think. 

Comments

Popular Posts