Day 6 or 7- Avoiding Death

Yes, I know I missed a day and then there were a few where I didn't do anything.... 

The plan is that there is no plan.

WHAT?!?!

I have to have a plan, right?

Well, if I have a plan it's this- I am going to try to work out for at least 35 minutes 5 times a week. 

Yes, Yoda, I wrote try.

Because if I only get to the gym 3 or 4 times it will be better than nothing.

And if I make it 7, fantastic.

In the past, I would say "Screw it, it's not working" and that would be that.

5 am appears to be working out (pun intended).  I wanted to sleep in today as I did yesterday, but I couldn't because I had just done a radio show with my friend Charmaine and talked about how important being healthy was to me.  I didn't really hear the alarm as much as I heard "Liar, liar, pants on fire" in my head when I got out of bed.

Over the weekend we did a charity walk/run for the Girl Scouts.  We did the Shortbread Shuffle- a 1 mile walk which my kids ran.  This has inspired me to do the Cirque 5k run in March with them since they clearly can do it.  I really do not enjoy running.  At all.  It was very inspiring to watch my friend Lisa run her first 5k after losing a boatload of weight- and she killed it.  29 minutes. Wow.  I will not finish in 29 minutes.  39 possibly.

Then I went to Monterey for a business trip. Rough life, I know.  I headed out at 5 for a run on the wharf, but I have to say, running in the dark in a strange city freaked me out, so I went to the hotel gym.  It sucked, but to quote the very fit colleague of mine who was there "You showed up."  Yep.  I did. 

I didn't make it there on Tuesday, thinking I would do something when I got home that night (really??) and then Wednesday morning.....yawwwwwnnnn.... I slept in.

But today, I didn't.  Today I went.  Today's inspiration was the man who had Parkinson's doing toe touches and fighting it every step of the way with his therapist.

I will be back tomorrow.

Because as I explained to my friend Charmaine yesterday, it's not about weight loss any more.  I'm not going to get to a magic weight and suddenly stop exercising.  I'll have to keep exercising.  And if I don't lose weight it doesn't matter- exercise is important on its own merits.  Heart disease is the #1 killer of women my age.  And for the most part, I can do something about it. 

I am nicer when I work out.  I am sharper when I work out.  I am happier when I work out.  It gives me energy and it also makes me feel like I can control something.  If I'm working out, it means I am sticking with my priorities and am in control of my life.  I got fat because I let life control me.  And I ate a lot of Ben & Jerry's and stopped exercising... but you know what I mean.

I may never be a size 6 again, but it doesn't mean I should just throw the towel in and get fatter and expedite my death.

Anything is better than nothing.  Anything.

So get moving.

Comments

Helen said…
As I've aged my thinking has shifted from exercise for weight loss (which meant I did a lot of stuff I really did not like) to exercise for health. So I try to exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day, 7 days a week. BUT, I average that because I take at least one, and sometimes two depending on how I'm feeling and my schedule, etc., rest days a week. So, I'm going for a minumum of 210 minutes of exercise per week (Sunday-Saturday). This week I already have 227 minutes. Again, I'm exercising for my HEALTH, not for weight loss!

Popular Posts